INTERNSHIP-RELATED COURSES: X498 & W499
BUS X498 and W499 are internship-related courses offered through the Kelley School of Business.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN X498 AND W499?
CHOOSE BUS W499 (ZERO CREDIT COURSE) IF:
- You would like to have your internship experience listed on your transcript.
- You are an international student completing the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) process. Contact Sara Ko-Ada email@example.com and review the steps in the CPT process.
- You have secured an unpaid internship and your employer requires that have a formal letter from IU acknowledging the internship. Contact Kelley Undergraduate Career Services at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require such documentation.
CHOOSE BUS X498 (2 CREDIT COURSE) IF:
- You would like to maximize your internship experience through a two-credit, “online” official Kelley course designed to deepen your overall learning gained from the internship.
- Have secured an unpaid internship and your employer requires you to “EARN CREDIT for your internship with a university” or your employer “requires a formal letter from IU acknowledging you will EARN CREDIT for your internship.” Contact our Office at email@example.com if you require such documentation.
- Students who have summer internships will enroll in W499 for the summer and X498 for the following fall. The course assignments will be completed during the summer concurrent with the internship. The tuition, credits and grades for the summer internship will be applied to the fall schedule.
WHAT CLASSIFIES AN INTERNSHIP ELIGIBLE FOR X498? THE INTERNSHIP MUST:
- Be Supervised. You must be based in an office and meet in person with your supervisor at least once a week to discuss progress, challenges, etc. Self-employment is not eligible.
- Be a minimum of 280 hours over the course of the internship.
- Have a meaningful work component. You must have responsibility for a relevant business function or project to further your understanding of career fields and/or course work.
- Increase employability. The internship must be with a bona fide organization or entity that will increase your employability in the area of business.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR X498 AND W499?
- Go to Kelley Connect and click on the shortcut on the homepage “X498/W499 Application” PRIOR to the start of the internship.
- Click on “Add new Experience.”
- Fill out the application and select either X498 or W499 in the TYPE field. Do NOT choose internship.
- The following information MUST be included for your internship to be approved:
- DETAILED job description—Use the original job description from the posting or describe your key responsibilities.
- Defined internship duration—Start and end dates, number of hours per week.
- Once your application has been submitted on Kelley Connect, you will receive an e-mail from the UCS stating your application has been approved or denied.
- If approved, you will receive an e-mail from Cortney Phillips from the Kelley Communication, Professional, and Computer Skills (CPCS) department with specific instructions to enroll in the course.
- You MUST follow the instruction closely. A permission code is required to enroll in the courses.
NOTE: Applications for either course MUST be submitted PRIOR to the start of the internship.
- BUS W499 spring deadline for international students with KISI-approved internships is MARCH 1.
- BUS W499 fall deadline for international students with KISI-approved internships is OCTOBER 1.
- BUS W499 summer deadline for ALL STUDENTS is JUNE 5.
- BUS X498/W499 spring internship deadline is FRIDAY OF THE FIRST WEEK OF CLASSES.
- BUS X498/W499 fall internship deadline is FRIDAY OF THE FIRST WEEK OF CLASSES.