Are you an International Student with an Internship in the US? YOU MUST APPLY for CPT

Steps to Apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Click here for CPT guide

You must obtain CPT work authorization before beginning employment. Your completed application for CPT must be submitted to the OIS at least two weeks before the employment is expected to begin. Start ASAP – this process can take up to four (4) weeks!

STEP 1: Obtain an official offer letter on company letterhead from your prospective employer. The letter must state all of the following: 1. The specific start date* and specific end date for employment. 2. The number of hours that will be worked per week. It will not be sufficient for the letter to state “part-time” or “full-time.” The number of hours per week must be provided. 3. The physical location (street address, city, state, and ZIP code) where the job will be conducted. P.O. Boxes are not accepted for this requirement 4. A description, as detailed as possible, of the job duties entailed in your work. NOTE: The work experience MUST be directly related to your business major/program.

*Or upon CPT authorization (ex. “May 15 or upon CPT authorization”)

STEP 2: Read the explanation of internship course options located on the “Resources” tab of Kelley Connect, and apply for authorization from the UCSO for X498/W499. For fall and spring internships, you may choose to apply for X498 (two credits). W499 (zero-credit) will only be allowed for the summer. A short cut to the W499/X498 application is located on the home page of Kelley Connect.

STEP 3: Email a copy of your offer letter and any additional details (job responsibilities, projects) about your internship to Sara Ko-Ada with the UCSO, If you’ve had a previous CPT internship experience you will need to provide an explanation of your past job responsibilities and how they related to your business major/s. Sara Ko-Ada will confirm your information and schedule an appointment if necessary.


STEP 4: Schedule an appointment with an academic advisor through the Student Appointment Scheduler on One.IU OR visit the Kelley Advising Office (HH 3035) for an appointment with an available advisor. Check with the front desk for which CPT advisor is available if the “CPT Meeting” button is not available at check-in. During the appointment, the advisor will create an updated degree plan that includes your internship, and review your remaining steps for CPT approval.

STEP 5: Enroll in W499 (summer) or X498 (spring/fall) for the semester of your work experience upon receiving the course permission included in the enrollment email.

STEP 6: Submit the CPT e-form to or through the iStart website: Upload your offer letter and other documentation, highlighting the required information per OIS. List the name and email of the academic advisor (NOT your career coach) you met with to discuss your CPT.

STEP 7: After your Kelley academic advisor has submitted their comments via iStart, you will be contacted by the Office of International Services with further instructions. OIS will verify course enrollment and approve your work authorization. They will notify you when your authorization is complete and ready to be picked up. (This can take up to 5-10 business days.)

If you have any questions about curricular practical training, please contact the Office of International Services at or (812) 855-9086.

By Trisha Doyle
Trisha Doyle Career Coach and Student Help Desk Manager Trisha Doyle