The Social Security Administration is recruiting Claims Specialists for their Lafayette and Crawfordsville offices.
Veterans Recruitment Act (VRA)
VRA allows appointment of eligible veterans up to the GS-11 or equivalent grade level. Veterans are hired under excepted appointments to positions that are otherwise in the competitive service. After the individual satisfactorily completes 2 years of service, the veteran may be converted non-competitively to a career or career-conditional appointment.
VRA eligibility applies to the following categories:
- Disabled veterans;
- Veterans who served on active duty in the Armed Forces during a war declared by Congress, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized;
- Veterans who, while serving on active duty in the Armed Forces, participated in a military operation for which an Armed Forces Service Medal (AFSM) was awarded; and
- Veterans separated from active duty within the past 3 years
Selective Placement Program / Schedule A
- People with disabilities may be considered for employment through the competitive hiring process or in some circumstances, under the Schedule A hiring authority. Individuals that may fall under this special hiring authority include persons with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities. In these cases, an agency may make a permanent, temporary, or time-limited appointment.
Peace Corps/VISTA Volunteer
- Returning Peace Corps members who have served their full term (approximately 2 years), or VISTA volunteers who have served at least 1 year. Individuals must provide a letter from Peace Corps/VISTA certifying completing of volunteer service and must be appointed within one year from completion of the volunteer service.