September 21, 2021
The Kelley Consumer Markets/Manufacturing Virtual Career Fair happens tomorrow – Wednesday, Sept. 22. This is the last of Kelley’s career fairs taking place this semester. BUT no need to panic! There are 2 more upcoming Kelley Virtual Employer Networking Nights (ENN) on Sept. 28 and Oct. 12, several career fairs organized by other IU Career Services Offices and numerous company sponsored events taking place through the semester.
How can I make the most of these opportunities?
IMPORTANT CAREER FAIR & ENN REMINDERS:
- Participation is a 2-step process: (1) Register on Handshake for each event AND (2) Sign up for group sessions and 1:1 sessions with your firms of interest before they fill up. Solely registering does NOT get you in front of employers!
- To sign up for Group or 1:1 sessions, your profile privacy must be set to “Community”.
- Employers are only participating in one Kelley career fair according to their Handshake industry. They will have representatives from the various functions for which they are hiring.
- Check back 48 hours prior to the fairs for additional 1:1 sessions that have opened.
- Virtual does not mean optional! Several employers have shared that some students who have scheduled time with them have been no-shows. Ghosting an employer does not bode well for future employment opportunities. If you schedule a time to meet with an employer during a career fair or ENN session, SHOW UP and log in on time! The employers know who is on their schedule and will document and remember a no show.
- Technical difficulty or day-of-event questions? Our Zoom front desk will be available via the link or by clicking “Join Virtual Help Room” in Handshake during the event.
CAN EMPLOYERS FIND YOU IN OUR RESUME BOOKS?
Uploading your resume to Handshake does not automatically include you in the resume books – you have to follow these steps. A resume book is a digital compilation of students’ resumes, by major and graduation year, that the UCS makes available for hiring employers at their request. This helps us promote you to companies! Employers request resumes of students who are in the job market, so maximize your visibility to companies and upload your resume today!
CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER
If you are actively looking for an internship or full-time job, we recommend that you check your SPAM and Junk Email folders on a regular basis. For some upcoming virtual company events, session links are being sent to students who register. So, if you are waiting for correspondence from companies and haven’t seen anything in your Inbox, check to see if it has landed in the Junk folder.
POST-NETWORKING EVENT NEXT STEPS
You just participated in a recruiting event like a career fair, an employer networking night or a company meet and greet and met several professionals. That it great, but now what do you do? The next thing to do is to send a brief thank you email. Click here for specific tips on how to keep that connection going.
ARE YOU INTERESTED IN A GLOBAL CAREER?
Did you know? As an IU Kelley student, you not only have access to our Kelley Undergraduate Career Services, but to various global career/job search resources and events (all for FREE!)? IU Career Services Council also has a dedicated group (International Students Careers Committee) committed to support both international students and domestic students interested in global opportunities. To help the Committee better serve YOU in your international career search and endeavors, please fill out this short survey!
K2C for International Students: Next Steps after Virtual Career Fairs – Friday, Sept. 24
- Alerding CPA Group – Monday, Sept. 20
- TTEC – Tuesday, Sept. 21
- Protiviti – Friday, Sept. 24
OTHER EVENTS & KEY DATES
College of Arts & Sciences Fall Career and Internship Fair (In-Person) – TODAY – Tuesday, Sept. 21
Forte’ Foundation Virtual Conferences: Candid Conversations for Black, Latinx & Native American Undergraduate Women; Fast Track to Finance Conference; Undergraduate Campus Leadership Summit – Registration Deadline Thursday, Sept. 23
IU School of Public Health 2021 Fall Career & Internship Fair (VIRTUAL) – Wednesday, Sept. 29
IU Diversity Career & Internship Fair (VIRTUAL) – Thursday, Sept. 30
- How to Answer Interview Questions About Internships
- StandOut – Virtual interview skills practice tool
1st Year Students
Our coaches can help! Make an appointment on Handshake or stop by during drop-in hours Monday-Friday 10am-3pm for quick 5-10 min. questions.