October 19, 2021
How is your search progressing? No matter where you are in your search process, our UCS coaches are available to help! If you have an interview coming up and need some practice for the real thing, we are happy to do a mock interview with you.
If you submitted resumes, but have not heard back regarding interview opportunities, come talk to a coach to discuss ways to re-group and jump start your search.
If you didn’t get to as many career fairs, Employer Networking Nights, or other recruiting events as you had planned, reach out and make an appointment to discuss process and other opportunities for connecting with companies and employers.
If you are just getting started with your search, that is ok! Come to the UCS to see a coach to formulate a strategy for next steps.
If you have no idea where to start, start with a UCS Coach!
VIRTUAL OR IN-PERSON: CONVERT THAT INTERVIEW INTO AN OFFER
The key in any interview is to be able to communicate to the employer that you have the skills they are seeking in the position for which you are interviewing. To do that, it is important to know the competencies and qualities required for the position. When preparing for an interview:
- Re-read the job description
- Note down the skills and qualities required
- Prepare stories & examples in the STAR format that demonstrate the skills you noted
Use some of these resources to help you with your preparation:
- UCS Interview Preparation Exercises
- StandOut – Virtual Interview Platform
- Interviews: Start to Finish
SECOND/FINAL ROUND INTERVIEW PROCESS
There is no one size fits all regarding the recruiting pattern this year so second or final round interviews with a company may be virtual or in-person at their offices. Whether or not you have final rounds that are conducted virtually or in-person, the process generally involves a more in-depth discussion about the role and the company, along with interviews and conversations with multiple people. Click here for tips on “How to Succeed at Your Second Interview”.
BUILDING SKILLS & GAINING EXPERIENCE
It has been a challenge for all of us getting used to and living primarily in a virtual world over the past 18 months. If you didn’t get as much experience as you wanted to because of the COVID pandemic, now is a great time to re-start your skill building process and gain experience. Here are some things to consider and resources to check out:
- LinkedIn Learning platform – Accessible through One.IU
- Parker Dewey Micro-internships
- No Internship? What to do Instead
STARTING YOUR SEARCH?
Or don’t know where to start? Make an appointment with a career coach on Handshake! You don’t have to have all the answers or know exactly what you want to do post-IU. Here are some things to think about in preparation for a career coach appointment that can help with a plan to get started:
- What are your preferences regarding:
- the type of internship/full-time job function that most interests you? (e.g. marketing, finance, supply chain, etc)?
- geographic location?
- industry or the type of company you want to work for?
- Who have you talked to or read about that is in a role and/or company that sounds interesting to you?
- Any career paths or majors that are definite no’s?
- What did you learn from the CareerLeader assessment and career exploration activities you did in Compass I?
FREE SUBSCRIPTION TO BARRON’S
As a Kelley student, you have free access to Barrons.com! The Kelley School’s subscription is a gift from the The Weikes Group at J.P. Morgan Wealth Management, on behalf of Elizabeth Weikes, Managing Director. This gives you access to the same real-time content and magazine, as well as perspective and analysis that is utilized by Barron’s subscribers – winning content and columns such as Up & Down Wall Street, Streetwise, Review & Preview, Follow-up, The Economy, Tech Trader, and Funds & Income Investing. Register for Barron’s here, then login on the website.
- 3/2 MBA and MSADA Programs Information Session – Tuesday, Oct. 19
- K2C for International Students: CPT/OPT Info Session – Friday, Oct. 22
- K2C: No offer yet? How to Re-energize and Re-strategize Your Job Search – Friday, Oct. 29
- Kelley Habitat for Humanity Build – Oct. 26-30
- Ace Your Interview with HireEd
- Kelley Zoom Backgrounds
- Meet with a UCS Professional Coach – schedule an appointment through Handshake
Sophomores/1st Year Students