November 16, 2021
Thanksgiving break is almost upon us! We know that this is a hectic time of the semester and hope that all of you can rest and rejuvenate. The Prebys Career Center lobby will be closed for the week and some of the UCS team will be available Monday & Tuesday by appointment.
- Monday, Nov. 22-Tuesday, Nov. 23: By appointment only
- Wednesday, Nov. 24-Friday, Nov. 26: Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday
SEARCH TIPS FOR SPRING STUDY ABROAD
Will you be overseas next semester? If you will be doing an internship search while studying overseas, here are some tips:
- Coaching: Make an appointment on Handshake to meet with a career coach to develop a search strategy. Virtual coaching with the UCS will be available while you are abroad.
- Resume: Update your resume by adding “Studying Abroad Spring 2022” beneath your name. This will help employers know that you will only be available for virtual interviews during the spring semester.
- Handshake: Check Handshake 3-5 times per week for updated postings and apply to internships of interest. New opportunities are added daily.
- Target Companies: Develop a list of 20-25 target companies as a road map for your application and networking efforts.
- Connect: Identify individuals at companies of interest and at those to which you have applied. Reach out to request an informational interview.
WHEN PARENTS & OTHER FAMILY ASK YOU ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP & JOB SEARCH
While being able to take a break from school will be welcome by many, a barrage of questions from family members about job and career can sometimes add stress. Here are some talking points for addressing career-related questions you might get from family about how your search is going, PLUS action steps you can take to keep the momentum going.
- Companies are still hiring! Several companies have shared with the UCS that they did not fill all their hiring needs this fall semester and are still in the market for entry-level talent. Check Handshake regularly for available opportunities.
- The UCS has a team of coaches & resources available to help. Make an in-person or virtual appointment through Handshake.
- Recruiting will continue into the spring semester. Stay tuned for upcoming spring recruiting event dates.
- Networking and connecting with others is critical to the search. Ask family members to introduce you to their circle of contacts and people they know. Search for alumni on LinkedIn and reach out.
- The holiday season is a good time to search and connect with others. Make a plan for some action steps you can take – applications to complete and people you plan to connect with – and keep family members updated on your progress.
UCS RESUME BOOKS – HELP US PROMOTE YOU TO COMPANIES STILL HIRING
A resume book is a digital compilation of students’ resumes, by major and graduation year, that the UCS makes available for hiring employers at their request. This helps us promote you to companies! However, uploading your resume to Handshake does not automatically include you in the resume book – you have to follow these steps. Employers request resumes of students who are in the job market, so if this is you, upload your resume as soon as possible to help maximize your visibility to companies.
SHARE YOUR GRATITUDE
As we enter into this season of giving thanks, the UCS invites you to write a brief 1-2 line shout-out to someone here at Kelley – a fellow student, staff member or faculty – who may have helped or supported you with something or who you are grateful for their presence in your life. Fill out the following survey to share your gratitude – Share Your GRATITUDE survey – and the UCS will publish these Expressions of Gratitude in the remainder of the UCS newsletters this month.
- Business Operations Consulting Workshop Coffee Chat – Friday, November 19