December 7, 2021
SPRING RECRUITING EVENTS – SAVE THE DATES!
We are planning for a mix of virtual and in-person recruiting events next semester. Mark these dates on your calendar. More details will be provided soon on Handshake.
- Kelley Spring Career Fair (Virtual) – Monday, Jan. 24
- Kelley Spring Employer Networking Nights (ENNs)
- Tuesday, Jan. 18 (Virtual)
- Tuesday, Feb. 1 (In-Person)
- Tuesday, Feb. 15 (Virtual)
- Thursday, Feb. 24 (In-Person)
KELLEY BALANCE WEEK (THIS WEEK – DECEMBER 6-9)
Take a break from the stress of final projects and exam prep to practice wellness skills and celebrate the end of the fall semester. View the full list of Balance Week events.
UCS STUDY TABLES
Need a quiet place to study? Space is available, along with coffee and snacks, at the Prebys Career Center this week between 9am-4pm.
WHAT IS AN INFORMATIONAL INTERVIEW?
Think of it as a friendly conversation to learn about a person’s career path, job, and/or experience at a company. No matter what stage of the career search process you are in, reaching out to others who are in roles or at companies of interest to you can be tremendously helpful. You might be looking for an internship or a full-time job, or you may be deciding about your major. Wherever you are, an informational interview can give you helpful insight into what it’s like to work at a particular company, in a particular business function, and the steps that you might take to get there. The holidays are a great time of year for connecting with others and provide a great reason for reaching out and building your base of professional contacts. Prep for your next informational interview with this Informational Interview Guide.
UCS CHECKLIST FOR SPRING STUDY ABROAD
If you will be overseas next semester, here is a checklist of To Do’s before you leave and while you are away.
- Make an appointment on Handshake to meet with a career coach to develop a search strategy. Virtual coaching with the UCS will be available while you are abroad.
- Update your resume by adding “Studying Abroad Spring 2022” beneath your name. This will help employers know that you will only be available for virtual interviews during the spring semester.
- Check Handshake 3-5 times per week for updated postings and apply to internships of interest. New opportunities continue to be added daily.
- Develop a list of 15-20 target companies as a road map for your application and networking efforts.
- Identify individuals at companies of interest and at those to which you have applied. Reach out to request an informational interview.
- Before you leave, if you have secured an internship, report your offer on the UCS website and stop by the UCS to pick up your “Kelley Hired” swag.
Please know – it is your responsibility to communicate with employers regarding your availability in your time zone. Be clear about when you are available and be ready to be flexible to connect during U.S. business hours.
UCS RESUME BOOKS – HELP US PROMOTE YOU TO COMPANIES STILL HIRING
A resume book is a digital compilation of students’ resumes, by major and graduation year, that the UCS makes available for hiring employers at their request. This helps us promote you to companies! However, uploading your resume to Handshake does not automatically include you in the resume book – you have to follow these steps. Employers request resumes of students who are in the job market, so if this is you, upload your resume as soon as possible to help maximize your visibility to companies.