January 18, 2022
If you are seeking a summer internship or full-time job opportunity, don’t miss the chance to meet with recruiters during our first Employer Networking Night (ENN) of the semester!
- Virtual ENN – Tuesday, Jan. 18 – TONIGHT!
Other virtual and in-person recruiting events planned this spring include:
- Kelley Spring Career Fair (Virtual) – Monday, Jan. 24
- In-Person ENN – Tuesday, Feb. 1
- Virtual ENN – Tuesday, Feb. 15
- In-Person ENN – Thursday, Feb. 24
Details are listed and registration for these events is open on Handshake. In addition to the events listed above, companies are also hosting events of their own and other IU career centers are also organizing events. Be sure to check Handshake regularly for possible event changes as pandemic conditions continue to evolve.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO ATTEND A KELLEY CAREER FAIR OR ENN?
Registration is required on Handshake for all Kelley ENNs, whether the event is virtual or in-person.
For VIRTUAL career fairs and ENNs, use Handshake to:
- Update your profile and make it visible to companies by selecting the “Community” or “Employers” setting.
- Register for the event.
- Sign-up for group sessions or one-on-one slots with your companies of interest. (If you do not complete this step, you will not be able to meet virtually with any employers)
For IN-PERSON ENNs, use Handshake to:
- Register for the event.
- Review the list of participating companies so you can identify and research employers of interest.
UCS RESUME BOOKS – HELP US PROMOTE YOU TO COMPANIES STILL HIRING
A resume book is a digital compilation of students’ resumes, by major and graduation year, that the UCS makes available for hiring employers at their request. This helps us promote you to companies! However, uploading your resume to Handshake does not automatically include you in the resume book – you have to follow these steps. Employers request resumes of students who are in the job market, so if this is you, upload your resume as soon as possible to help maximize your visibility to companies.
MAKING A POSITIVE FIRST IMPRESSION WITH AN EMPLOYER
Whether you are participating in a virtual recruiting event or one that is taking place in person, there is overlap in what you can do to prepare for both types of events.
- Develop a list of 5-10 target companies of interest
- Research the companies. Using Handshake, familiarize yourself with the roles for which they are hiring, and skills required in each role.
- Prepare your introduction to include:
- Class year
- Type of role you are seeking (internship or full-time job) and in what function (finance, marketing, supply chain, etc.)
- A question to ask the employer so that the interaction is more conversational
- Craft 3-5 talking points about your skills and experiences that you can weave into the conversation at appropriate times.
- Check out these additional resources and make an appointment with a UCS career coach for more recruiting event tips:
ACE YOUR NEXT INTERVIEW
Need some tips for how to ace your next interview? Participate in our Kelley 2 Careers (K2C): Virtual Interview Prep workshop this Friday, Jan. 21. This workshop will be conducted through Zoom and we will discuss what to expect in a typical behavioral-based virtual interview, along with tips and advice on how to best prepare. Sign up through Handshake.
SPRING RECRUITING STARTS NOW! 6 STEPS TO BE READY
- Get your resume in the Kelley format and make any updates necessary.
- Update your Handshake profile and make it visible to companies by selecting the “Community” or “Employers” setting.
- Use the Jobs & Events tabs to start noting down opportunities of interest and participate in them to meet recruiters. In addition to Kelley recruiting events, other IU school career centers and individual companies are hosting recruiting events.
- NETWORK – talk to fellow classmates who interned at companies of interest and recent alums, family or other contacts who are in your target jobs or at your target companies.
- Meet with a career coach – we can help no matter what stage of the career process you are in! Make an appointment on Handshake.
- FOLLOW our IG accounts (@KelleyUCS @KelleyUCSCoaches) for up-to-date information on career tips and recruiting events!
A FEW COMPANY LISTS TO HELP YOU GET STARTED
Although there are thousands of companies with opportunities posted on Handshake, there are millions of businesses in the U.S. Some may be organizations you haven’t heard of but may fit your criteria of what you are looking for in a workplace. Here are a few company lists as a sampling, generated by external resources.
- Best in Business 2021 – The Most Inspiring Companies of the Year
- Top Companies 2021: The 50 Best Workplaces to Grow Your Career in the U.S.
- 100 Best Companies to Work For
OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS
- Instagram Takeovers
- Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering Spring 2022 Career Fair (Virtual) – Tuesday, Jan. 25, 11am-4pm
- IU College of Arts + Sciences Winter Career + Internship Fair (Virtual) – Monday, Jan. 31, 2-5pm