December 6, 2022
The UCS team wishes you our best during this home stretch of fall semester! As you complete end of the semester projects and study for final exams, know that it is o.k. to pause your internship or full-time job search during this time.
Do your best to take care of your mental and physical well-being. Take a break and participate in some of the Kelley Balance Week events being offered this week.
Make an appointment with a UCS career coach for search support and tips after final exams.
GOING ABROAD IN THE SPRING & LOOKING FOR AN INTERNSHIP?
Each year hundreds of Kelley students go abroad in the spring, a number of whom have not secured their plans for the summer following their overseas study experience. Don’t freak out! Employers continue to recruit for internships in the spring and virtual recruiting tools make it possible for you to communicate with recruiters during your study abroad semester. Here are some tips if you’re worried about your upcoming spring recruitment/semester abroad experience.
- Work with a UCS professional coach: Schedule an appointment through Handshake to establish a plan and develop your strategy.
- Update your resume: Indicate that you will be abroad during spring semester by adding beneath or beside your name “Study Abroad – Spring 2023”. This way employers know that you may have a slight delay in your response to emails.
- Connect, Connect, Connect: Just like any other student seeking employment, you will need to dedicate time to network with professionals. This may mean that you will have to carve out time in the evenings to connect with employers on their local time. The onus is on you to work to the local time schedules and communicate your availability.
- Search Handshake and beyond: Handshake is an excellent tool to identify entry level opportunities but is not the only resource. LinkedIn, Indeed, and direct networking are fantastic tools as well.
- Consider other experiences: Internships aren’t the only way to gain professional experience. Volunteer, conduct research, start your own business, be creative!
The UCS is open after finals so if you want to finish exams before you start to think about all of this, you can do that too!
DON’T MISS THE LAST #WEDNESDAYWISDOM CAREER CHAT FOR THIS SEMESTER ABOUT SPRING RECRUITNG OVERVIEW
We hope you enjoyed our weekly #WednesdayWisdom Career Chat this semester! We’re closing out this semester with our last session about how to prepare for spring recruiting. Join us LIVE on Instagram @KelleyUCSCoaches this Wednesday or send in your questions in advance via DM.
- Kelley 2 Careers (K2C): Head Start on Spring Recruiting – Wednesday, Dec. 7 – 12:30-1:00pm
SENIORS & JUNIORS: HELP US PROMOTE YOU TO HIRING COMPANIES THROUGH OUR RESUME BOOKS!
A resume book is a digital compilation of students’ resumes, by major and graduation year, that the UCS makes available for hiring employers at their request. Companies request resumes of students who are in the job market, so if this is you, submit your resume(s) as soon as possible to the various UCS resume books. This will maximize your visibility to hiring companies. Complete these steps to have your resume included.
Because the holidays provide an opportunity to see family and old friends and to meet new people, it can be a natural time to connect with others who might be able to assist with your internship or full-time job search. The cousin of an old high school acquaintance’s significant other might work in a role or company of interest to you – you never know! Don’t overlook those chances for connection and read these 2 quick articles for more tips about networking over the holidays.
UNFILTERED CAREER SEARCH (UCS) PODCAST
Check out the latest episodes of Season 3 on the Unfiltered Career Search podcast! Created by returning and new Kelley UCS peer coaches, JP, Hannah, Michelle, Shiv, Laasya, Lydia, and Maddie, the podcast takes a dive into topics surrounding career, college recruiting and the struggles that come with it all. New episodes dropping biweekly on Tuesdays!
UPCOMING KELLEY 2 GLOBAL CAREERS (K2C) SESSION
- K2GC – Winter Break and Onward – Thursday, Dec. 8