January 10, 2023
We hope you all had a restful winter break! If you are looking for an internship or full-time job, campus recruiting starts now with several activities happening over the next few weeks. Recruiting will continue to be a mix of in-person and virtual events. Mark these dates on your calendar and be sure to check Handshake for a complete list of events and any updates:
- Kelley Spring 2023 Career Fair (Virtual) – Monday, Jan. 23
- O’Neill Business Administration and Management Career Focus Fair (In-person) – Tuesday, Jan. 24
- Kelley Employer Networking Night (ENN) (In-person) – Wednesday, Jan. 25
- 2023 IU College of Arts + Sciences Winter Career & Internship Fair (Virtual) – Thursday, Jan. 26
- O’Neill Government, Nonprofit, and Environmental Career Focus Fair (In-person) – Tuesday, Jan. 31
- Kelley UCS Presents the Big 4 Chat (In-person) – Wednesday, Feb. 1
- Kelley UCS Presents Beyond the Big 4 Accounting Networking Night (In-person) – Thursday, Feb. 2
- Kelley ENN (Virtual) – Thursday, Feb. 9
- School of Public Health Spring Career Fair (virtual) – Thursday, Feb. 16
- Kelley Employer Networking Night for 1st & 2nd Year Students (In-person) – Wednesday, Feb. 22
KEY STEPS FOR VIRTUAL CAREER FAIRS & ENN’S
If you are interested in participating in the Kelley Spring Career Fair or any of the other virtual career fairs and ENN’s, the following steps are required:
- Set your profile visibility to “Community” or “Employers”.
- Register for the event on Handshake.
- Sign up for group or 1:1 sessions with companies in which you have interest.
- Bonus Event Tip: To share your resume with an employer during a 1:1 session:
- Upload a PDF version of your resume to your google drive (or any other cloud-based storage you use).
- Copy the share link to a word document or some other location you can easily access during your 1:1.
- If you choose to rename the link to a shortened version, use Bitly or another similar application. (Renaming the link in the word document will not copy correctly to the chat feature on Handshake).
- Have the link copied to your clipboard and ready to share when attending your 1:1 sessions.
For more detailed information, check out our resource: HANDSHAKE: Employer Networking Nights & Career Fairs
GET READY FOR SPRING RECRUITING
Want to know how to make the most of spring recruiting? Join one of our career coaches on Instagram Live (@KelleyUCSCoaches) for our K2C #WednesdayWisdom Career Chat tomorrow, Wednesday, Jan. 11.
- K2C #WednesdayWisdom Career Chats – Quick Tips on All Things Spring Recruiting + Networking – Wednesday, Jan. 11, 12:30-1:00pm
You can also send your questions in advance via DM on Instagram (@KelleyUCSCoaches).
SENIORS & JUNIORS: HELP US PROMOTE YOU TO HIRING COMPANIES THROUGH OUR RESUME BOOKS!
A resume book is a digital compilation of students’ resumes, by major and graduation year, that the UCS makes available for hiring employers at their request. Companies request resumes of students who are in the job market, so if this is you, submit your resume(s) as soon as possible to the various UCS resume books. This will maximize your visibility to hiring companies. Complete these steps to have your resume included.
NAVIGATING RECRUITING WHILE STUDYING ABROAD
Are you studying abroad this semester, while also planning to look for an internship for when you return this summer? Fortunately, virtual recruiting tools make it possible for you to communicate with recruiters while you are overseas. Here are some tips if you are participating in recruiting while studying abroad.
- Work with a UCS professional coach: Schedule an appointment through Handshake to establish a plan and develop your strategy. Virtual appointments are available.
- Update your resume: Indicate that you will be abroad this semester by adding beneath or beside your name “Study Abroad – Spring 2023”. This way employers know that you may have a slight delay in your response to emails.
- Connect, Connect, Connect: Just like any other student seeking employment, you will need to dedicate time to network with professionals. This may mean that you will have to carve out time in the evenings to connect with employers on their local time. The onus is on you to work to the local time schedules and communicate your availability.
- Search Handshake and beyond: Handshake is an excellent tool to identify entry level opportunities but is not the only resource. LinkedIn, Indeed, and direct networking are fantastic tools as well.
- Consider other experiences: Internships aren’t the only way to gain professional experience. Volunteer, conduct research, start your own business, be creative!
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: KELLEY2GLOBAL CAREERS (K2GC) – REMINDERS FOR JUNIOR & SENIOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Join us on Thursday, Jan. 12 for a virtual session to help you stay on track for career success. This session will be facilitated on Zoom. Come prepared to ask questions.
UNFILTERED CAREER SEARCH (UCS) PODCAST
Happy 2023! Missed out on our Season 3 last fall? No problem, we’ve got you covered. Check out all our past episodes on the Unfiltered Career Search podcast! We’ll kick off SEASON 4 next Tuesday, 1/17, so stay tuned!
Created by returning and new Kelley UCS peer coaches, JP, Hannah, Michelle, Shiv, Laasya, Lydia, and Maddie, the podcast takes a dive into topics surrounding career, college recruiting and the struggles that come with it all. New episodes dropping biweekly on Tuesdays!
KISI SUMMER 2023 INTERNATIONAL INTERNSHIPS – APPLY NOW
Consider applying for the 2023 summer international internship program through the Kelley Institute for Social Impact (KISI). There are internships happening in Ghana, Guatemala, Dominican Republic, and India. Learn more and apply before January 17, 2023. Funding is available!