January 18, 2023
Coming up next week at Kelley:
- Kelley Spring 2023 Career Fair (virtual) – Monday, Jan. 23
- Kelley Employer Networking Night (ENN) (In-person) – Wednesday, Jan. 25
Other career fairs next week:
- O’Neill Business Administration and Management Career Focus Fair (In-person) – Tuesday, Jan. 24
- 2023 IU College of Arts + Sciences Winter Career & Internship Fair (Virtual) – Thursday, Jan. 26
KEY STEPS FOR VIRTUAL CAREER FAIRS & ENN’S
If you are interested in participating in the Kelley Spring Career Fair or any of the other virtual career fairs and ENN’s, the following steps are required:
- Set your profile visibility to “Community” or “Employers”.
- Register for the event on Handshake.
- Sign up for group or 1:1 sessions with companies in which you have interest.
- Bonus Event Tip: To share your resume with an employer during a 1:1 session:
- Upload a PDF version of your resume to your google drive (or any other cloud-based storage you use).
- Copy the share link to a word document or some other location you can easily access during your 1:1.
- If you choose to rename the link to a shortened version, use Bitly or another similar application. (Renaming the link in the word document will not copy correctly to the chat feature on Handshake).
- Have the link copied to your clipboard and ready to share when attending your 1:1 sessions.
For more detailed information, check out our resources: Handshake: Employer Networking Nights & Career Fairs
#WEDNESDAYWISDOM CHAT: SPRING CAREER FAIR + INTERVIEW PREP TIPS
Getting ready for next week’s career fair? Join one of our career coaches in person TODAY, Jan. 18 at the Prebys Center to learn how to navigate upcoming career fair/networking events and interviews to come.
- K2C #WednesdayWisdom Career Chats – Spring Career Fair + Interview Prep – Wednesday, Jan. 18, 12:30-1:00pm
Get your questions answered for this spring recruiting season, and some helpful dates and tips to get you prepped. This is one of two in-person #WednesdayWisdom chats this semester.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: KELLEY2GLOBAL CAREERS (K2GC) – SPRING CAREER FAIR PREP SESSION
Intrigued by career fairs? Fairs are the place to network and explore! Join us for our virtual K2GC International Students Spring Career Fair Prep session on Thursday, Jan. 19 to hear from some of our international peer coaches who will share their guidance on how to maximize your career fair success this spring.
SENIORS & JUNIORS: HELP US PROMOTE YOU TO HIRING COMPANIES THROUGH OUR RESUME BOOKS!
A resume book is a digital compilation of students’ resumes, by major and graduation year, that the UCS makes available for hiring employers at their request. Companies request resumes of students who are in the job market, so if this is you, submit your resume(s) as soon as possible to the various UCS resume books. This will maximize your visibility to hiring companies. Complete these steps to have your resume included.
NAVIGATING RECRUITING WHILE STUDYING ABROAD
Are you studying abroad this semester, while also planning to look for an internship for when you return this summer? Fortunately, virtual recruiting tools make it possible for you to communicate with recruiters while you are overseas. Here are some tips if you are participating in recruiting while studying abroad.
- Work with a UCS professional coach: Schedule an appointment through Handshake to establish a plan and develop your strategy. Virtual appointments are available.
- Update your resume: Indicate that you will be abroad this semester by adding beneath or beside your name “Study Abroad – Spring 2023”. This way employers know that you may have a slight delay in your response to emails.
- Connect, Connect, Connect: Just like any other student seeking employment, you will need to dedicate time to network with professionals. This may mean that you will have to carve out time in the evenings to connect with employers on their local time. The onus is on you to work to the local time schedules and communicate your availability.
- Search Handshake and beyond: Handshake is an excellent tool to identify entry level opportunities but is not the only resource. LinkedIn, Indeed, and direct networking are fantastic tools as well.
- Consider other experiences: Internships aren’t the only way to gain professional experience. Volunteer, conduct research, start your own business, be creative!
INTERESTED IN THE TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRY OR TECH CONSULTING?
Come and learn from a panel of professionals about different career paths in tech and tech consulting. This session is part of our Kelley Snacks & Career Facts Series and will take place in person. This event is limited to 60 Kelley students and attire is business casual. We ask that you register in advance.
1ST YEAR STUDENTS: K2C 1ST YEAR FAST TRACK
The UCS has sessions geared just for you this semester! This month’s sessions include:
- Let’s Talk About Why It’s Important to Start Thinking About Networking & Career Fairs – this week – Friday, Jan. 20
- How Do I Choose a Student Organization During My Second Year in School & Should I Join One? – Friday, Jan. 27
UNFILTERED CAREER SEARCH (UCS) PODCAST
NEW SEASON + NEW EPISODE ALERT! Join our UCS podcast host JP as he learns all there is to know about spring recruiting with a Kelley Undergraduate Career Services career coach and employer relations staff member!
Created by returning and new Kelley UCS peer coaches, JP, Hannah, Michelle, Shiv, Laasya, Lydia, and Maddie, the podcast takes a dive into topics surrounding career, college recruiting and the struggles that come with it all. New episodes dropping biweekly on Tuesdays!