January 24, 2023
A reminder of events this week:
- Kelley Spring 2023 Career Fair (virtual) – Monday, Jan. 23rd
- Kelley Employer Networking Night (ENN) (In-person) – Wednesday, Jan. 25th
- Kelley Snacks & Career Facts Series: Technology & Tech Consulting – Wednesday, Jan. 25th
Other career fairs next week:
- O’Neill Business Administration and Management Career Focus Fair (In-person) – Tuesday, Jan. 24th
- 2023 IU College of Arts + Sciences Winter Career & Internship Fair (Virtual) – Thursday, Jan. 26th
Coming up next week at Kelley:
- Kelley UCS Presents The Big 4 Chat (In-Person) – Wednesday, Feb. 1st
- Kelley Snacks & Career Facts Series: Public & Corporate Accounting (In-Person) – Thursday, Feb. 2nd
- Kelley UCS Presents Beyond the Big 4 Accounting Networking Night (In-Person) – Thursday, Feb. 2nd
KEY STEPS FOR VIRTUAL CAREER FAIRS & ENN’S
If you are interested in participating in the Kelley Spring Career Fair or any of the other virtual career fairs and ENN’s, the following steps are required:
- Set your profile visibility to “Community” or “Employers”.
- Register for the event on Handshake.
- Sign up for group or 1:1 sessions with companies in which you have interest.
- Bonus Event Tip: To share your resume with an employer during a 1:1 session:
- Upload a PDF version of your resume to your google drive (or any other cloud-based storage you use).
- Copy the share link to a word document or some other location you can easily access during your 1:1.
- If you choose to rename the link to a shortened version, use Bitly or another similar application. (Renaming the link in the word document will not copy correctly to the chat feature on Handshake).
- Have the link copied to your clipboard and ready to share when attending your 1:1 sessions.
For more detailed information, check out our resources: Handshake: Employer Networking Nights & Career Fairs
TIPS FROM THE COACHING CORNER
After attending a career fair or recruiting event:
- Send thank you messages to recruiters who work at companies you are interested in applying to. Acknowledge the time they gave you at the event and repeat your interest in the company.
- Do required follow-up activities as instructed by the recruiter:
- Complete the online application and upload the necessary materials (resume and/or cover letter)
- Check Kelley Connect
- Our site has info regarding position postings and deadlines as well as on campus events with recruiters and UCS workshops. Be sure to apply to positions as they are available. Some interviews may occur the day after the career fair so be prepared and know your availability.
- Wondering about the job market? Here’s a brief summary that will take you a few minutes to watch.
When preparing for an in-person event:
- Dress business professional
- Bring a padfolio to take notes, collect business cards, and store copies of your resume
#WEDNESDAYWISDOMCHAT: INTERVIEWS COMING UP? WE GOT YOU!
Let the job/internship interviews begin! Join us LIVE on Instagram (handle is @kelleyucscoaches) to fully prepare for your upcoming virtual and/or in-person interviews. Slide into our DMs with any questions you may have!
- K2C – Interviews Coming Up? We Got You! – Wednesday, Feb. 3rd 12:30-1pm
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: KELLEY2GLOBAL CAREERS (K2GC) – BE INTERVIEW READY
This session will concentrate on how to prepare for an interview. That is, what your steps should be before, during, and after the interview.
- K2GC – International Students, Be Interview Ready! – Thursday, Feb. 2nd 12:30-1
1st YEAR STUDENTS: K2C 1ST YEAR FAST TRACK
It’s never too early to begin thinking about your future career plans. The UCS has sessions geared just for you this semester! Next week’s session is:
- How Do I Create a Resume? – Friday, Feb. 3rd
SENIORS & JUNIORS: HELP US PROMOTE YOU TO HIRING COMPANIES THROUGH OUR RESUME BOOKS!
A resume book is a digital compilation of students’ resumes, by major and graduation year, that the UCS makes available for hiring employers at their request. Companies request resumes of students who are in the job market, so if this is you, submit your resume(s) as soon as possible to the various UCS resume books. This will maximize your visibility to hiring companies. Complete these steps to have your resume included.
NAVIGATING RECRUITING WHILE STUDYING ABROAD
Are you studying abroad this semester, while also planning to look for an internship for when you return this summer? Fortunately, virtual recruiting tools make it possible for you to communicate with recruiters while you are overseas. Here are some tips if you are participating in recruiting while studying abroad.
- Work with a UCS professional coach: Schedule an appointment through Handshake to establish a plan and develop your strategy. Virtual appointments are available.
- Update your resume: Indicate that you will be abroad this semester by adding beneath or beside your name “Study Abroad – Spring 2023”. This way employers know that you may have a slight delay in your response to emails.
- Connect, Connect, Connect: Just like any other student seeking employment, you will need to dedicate time to network with professionals. This may mean that you will have to carve out time in the evenings to connect with employers on their local time. The onus is on you to work to the local time schedules and communicate your availability.
- Search Handshake and beyond: Handshake is an excellent tool to identify entry level opportunities but is not the only resource. LinkedIn, Indeed, and direct networking are fantastic tools as well.
- Consider other experiences: Internships aren’t the only way to gain professional experience. Volunteer, conduct research, start your own business, be creative!
UNFILTERED CAREER SEARCH (UCS) PODCAST
NEW SEASON + NEW EPISODE ALERT! Join our UCS podcast host JP as he learns all there is to know about spring recruiting with a Kelley Undergraduate Career Services career coach and employer relations staff member!
Created by returning and new Kelley UCS peer coaches, JP, Hannah, Michelle, Shiv, Laasya, Lydia, and Maddie, the podcast takes a dive into topics surrounding career, college recruiting and the struggles that come with it all. New episodes dropping biweekly on Tuesdays!