January 31, 2023
NETWORKING NIGHTS & CAREER FACTS SERIES CONTINUE
A reminder of events this week:
- Kelley UCS Presents The Big 4 Chat (In-Person) – Wednesday, Feb. 1st
- Kelley Snacks & Career Facts Series: Public & Corporate Accounting (In-Person) – Thursday, Feb. 2nd
- Kelley UCS Presents Beyond the Big 4 Accounting Networking Night (In-Person) – Thursday, Feb. 2nd
- Maurer Diversity Law Day (In-Person) – Saturday, Feb. 4th
Coming up next week at Kelley:
- RESCHEDULED: Kelley Employer Networking Night (In-Person) – Wednesday, Feb. 8th
- RESCHEDULED: Kelley Snacks & Career Facts Series: Technology & Tech Consulting (In-Person) – Wednesday, Feb. 8th
- Kelley Employer Networking Night (Virtual) – Thursday, Feb. 9th
KEY STEPS FOR VIRTUAL CAREER FAIRS & ENN’S
If you are interested in participating in the Kelley Spring Career Fair or any of the other virtual career fairs and ENN’s, the following steps are required:
- Set your profile visibility to “Community” or “Employers”.
- Register for the event on Handshake.
- Sign up for group or 1:1 sessions with companies in which you have interest.
- Bonus Event Tip: To share your resume with an employer during a 1:1 session:
- Upload a PDF version of your resume to your google drive (or any other cloud-based storage you use).
- Copy the share link to a word document or some other location you can easily access during your 1:1.
- If you choose to rename the link to a shortened version, use Bitly or another similar application. (Renaming the link in the word document will not copy correctly to the chat feature on Handshake).
- Have the link copied to your clipboard and ready to share when attending your 1:1 sessions.
For more detailed information, check out our resources: Handshake: Employer Networking Nights & Career Fairs
TIPS FROM THE COACHING CORNER
After attending a career fair or recruiting event:
- Send thank you messages to recruiters who work at companies you are interested in applying to. Acknowledge the time they gave you at the event and repeat your interest in the company.
- Do required follow-up activities as instructed by the recruiter:
- Complete the online application and upload the necessary materials (resume and/or cover letter)
- Check Kelley Connect
- Our site has info regarding position postings and deadlines as well as on campus events with recruiters and UCS workshops. Be sure to apply to positions as they are available. Some interviews may occur the day after the career fair so be prepared and know your availability.
When preparing for an in-person event:
- Dress business professional
- Bring a padfolio to take notes and bring printed copies of your resume
- Generate a QR code for your LinkedIn profile or your resume and be ready to share on your device
During the event:
- Ask for contact information of the person you’re speaking with, ask to connect on linkedin
Wondering about the job market? Here’s a brief summary that will take you a few minutes to watch.
#WEDNESDAYWISDOMCHAT: INTERVIEWS COMING UP? WE GOT YOU!
Let the job/internship interviews begin! For the next three weeks, we’re dedicating our #WednesdayWisdom Career Chats all to interview prep for your spring recruiting success! Join us LIVE on Instagram (handle is @kelleyucscoaches) to fully prepare for your upcoming virtual and/or in-person interviews. Slide into our DMs with any questions you may have!
- K2C – Interviews Coming Up? We Got You! – Wednesday, Feb. 1st 12:30-1pm
- K2C – Interviews Coming Up? We Got You! – Wednesday, Feb. 8th 12:30-1pm
- K2C – Interviews Coming Up? We Got You! – Wednesday, Feb. 15th 12:30-1pm
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: KELLEY2GLOBAL CAREERS (K2GC) – IMMIGRATION OPTIONS IN THE U.S.
The top law firm, Fragomen, will provide updates on current immigration options in the U.S.
- K2GC – International Students, Immigration Options in the U.S. – Thursday, Feb. 9th 12:30-1
1st YEAR STUDENTS: K2C 1ST YEAR FAST TRACK
It’s never too early to begin thinking about your future career plans. The UCS has sessions geared just for you this semester! Next week’s session is:
- Let’s Talk about Why it’s Normal to Fail and Why You Should Embrace It! – Friday, Feb. 10th
SENIORS & JUNIORS: HELP US PROMOTE YOU TO HIRING COMPANIES THROUGH OUR RESUME BOOKS!
A resume book is a digital compilation of students’ resumes, by major and graduation year, that the UCS makes available for hiring employers at their request. Companies request resumes of students who are in the job market, so if this is you, submit your resume(s) as soon as possible to the various UCS resume books. This will maximize your visibility to hiring companies. Complete these steps to have your resume included.
NAVIGATING RECRUITING WHILE STUDYING ABROAD
Are you studying abroad this semester, while also planning to look for an internship for when you return this summer? Fortunately, virtual recruiting tools make it possible for you to communicate with recruiters while you are overseas. Here are some tips if you are participating in recruiting while studying abroad.
- Work with a UCS professional coach: Schedule an appointment through Handshake to establish a plan and develop your strategy. Virtual appointments are available.
- Update your resume: Indicate that you will be abroad this semester by adding beneath or beside your name “Study Abroad – Spring 2023”. This way employers know that you may have a slight delay in your response to emails.
- Connect, Connect, Connect: Just like any other student seeking employment, you will need to dedicate time to network with professionals. This may mean that you will have to carve out time in the evenings to connect with employers on their local time. The onus is on you to work to the local time schedules and communicate your availability.
- Search Handshake and beyond: Handshake is an excellent tool to identify entry level opportunities but is not the only resource. LinkedIn, Indeed, and direct networking are fantastic tools as well.
- Consider other experiences: Internships aren’t the only way to gain professional experience. Volunteer, conduct research, start your own business, be creative!
UNFILTERED CAREER SEARCH (UCS) PODCAST
Interviews, interviews, interviews! Join our UCS podcast host JP as he prepares for interviews this spring recruiting season with a little help from a peer coach and career coach from Kelley Undergraduate Career Services!
Created by returning and new Kelley UCS peer coaches, JP, Hannah, Michelle, Shiv, Laasya, Lydia, and Maddie, the podcast takes a dive into topics surrounding career, college recruiting and the struggles that come with it all. New episodes dropping biweekly on Tuesdays!