Arabella Advisors seeks a dynamic and enthusiastic individual to join our Corporate Finance team. The position reports to the Accounting Manager and will be responsible for providing financial, administrative, and clerical support to the organization. This includes processing and monitoring payments and expenditures. We need you to be highly organized, and detail and deadline-oriented with a demonstrated ability to manage several projects simultaneously. The right candidate has outstanding client service skills, operates independently with minimal direction, and enjoys working in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment.
• Review vendor invoices and employee expense reports in accordance with company policy
• Process weekly cash disbursement via EFT/ACH payments and perform related follow-ups and confirmations
• Reconcile vendor statements, research, and correct discrepancies
• Process monthly rent and other manual AP payments
• Respond to employee and vendor inquiries related to expenses and disbursements
• Reconcile and process monthly credit card statements and payments
• Prepare monthly closing journal entries and general ledger reconciliations
• Manage 1099 reporting, W-9s, and vendor records
• Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices
• Assist with preparation of annual audit
• Assist the Assistant Controller and the Accounting Manager with special projects as needed
To Be Successful in the Role, You’ll Need:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
• Minimum one year of relevant accounting experience
• Understanding of basic accounting principles including accrual accounting
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Outlook and Word)
• Must have a strong work ethic, be well-organized and a self-starter
• Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to report on complex data in an easily understandable manner
• Customer service mindset
• Ability to work independently and within teams in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
• Ability to manage and make progress on multiple projects simultaneously
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit and resourcefulness that spurs innovation and problem solving
Other Highly Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP
• Intermediate Excel skills
Our Core Competencies:
• Ability to provide excellent, including the ability to efficiently and independently address routine service matters, to suggest effective client-centered solutions when elevating challenges or concerns, and to understand how the team can operate to maintain high-quality service.
• The ability to complete complex tasks, to use a work plan to undertake projects, and to understand how those projects impact the client, team, and/or firm’s objectives
• The ability to understand stakeholders’ perspectives and circumstances, and to build and manage strong relationships that reflect that understanding.
• The ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally, including the ability to adapt style, tone, and content to various audiences; to make technical information accessible to broader audiences; and to collaborate with others to produce strong written deliverables
• The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including knowing when and how to compromise, being willing to proactively help colleagues, and sharing knowledge in various mediums
• An enthusiasm for taking on stretch and development opportunities, including the ability to accept feedback and use it to improve performance
• The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, including knowing when to elevate challenges along with possible solutions
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4). These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Advancing DEI within our firm and in our work with partners is critical to our mission. To be effective partners to philanthropists, nonprofits, and communities impacted by philanthropic dollars, we need to have a highly diverse staff, a workplace where individuals are encouraged to retain their uniqueness and can feel a sense of belonging, and a nuanced understanding of the racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, and other disparities that undergird the issues we engage in and the interactions we have with one another. For us, equity means that our staff members, our clients, and the people they serve can experience the same level of success, no matter their starting place. We expect all our employees to share this commitment, and always seek ways to improve how well we live these values. Click here to learn more about DEI at Arabella and read our official DEI statement.
Working with US
While this position must be based in Washington, DC, please note that due to COVID-19, all Arabella Advisors’ offices are closed, and we remain a remote-first organization until further notice. We have a strong firm culture rooted in collaboration and in-person interactions between colleagues. To that end, once our offices reopen it is our expectation that all staff will generally work from the office according to a schedule agreed upon with their supervisor.
We offer a competitive and holistic total rewards package that includes salary, bonus, and benefits. Our base salaries are based on a blend of similar sized organizations from different sectors, including nonprofits, foundations, and professional service firms. They are also based on local market rates and differentiated by geography. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to seven federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive cultural and religious holidays and your birthday. Our competitive health package includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance, and our retirement package includes a 401(k) plan that is fully vested from day one. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers page to learn more.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
Arabella Advisors is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to racial equity. If we can make the application process easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
We encourage you to read (or listen to) our DEI statement prior to applying. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color and members of marginalized groups to apply for open positions. Once you have applied, we welcome your feedback on how you have experienced our values around DEI in the recruitment process.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.