At Grainger, we’re committed to our purpose – We Keep the World Working. Grainger is a leading global supplier of maintenance, repair, and operational supplies, providing services and solutions for every industry. Our 25,000 employees are driven to serve customers and the community in exceptional ways, focusing on delivering the highest level of service leveraging the most innovative solutions. As part of a high-performing team, you’ll be able to develop your talents and make a difference. Grainger is a Fortune 500 company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine’s Most Admired Companies list.
Grainger is a leader in data driven culture and decision making. Our Analytics & Data team operates as a center of excellence helping leaders and teams across all areas of the business make decisions based on informed insights that enhance our customer experience and improve business performance.
At Grainger, you will be working with analysts, data scientists and AI experts with very diverse backgrounds and strong technical expertise. Our team’s mission is to use multiple different technology platforms to build data-driven cutting-edge solutions and capabilities using machine learning and big data with a focus on Predictive Analytics, Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing, as well as other relevant areas.
As a Data Science Intern in the Search Team, you will apply these techniques using a wealth of internal and external data to develop insights in the areas of e-commerce search and to help customer searching on Grainger.com to find products faster. Your work would directly impact end users and would influence how customers find and buy products on Grainger.com. The work that the intern does will go towards contributing to the suite of search solutions that power e-commerce search and transactions on Grainger.com
The ideal candidate for this position is someone with strong programming experience, someone with problem-solving skills and someone who is willing to research approaches to tackle new problems. The candidate should be able to work independently and be comfortable reaching out to colleagues in the larger team.
- Explore, analyze and interpret data both structured and unstructured, predominantly text
- Perform high-impact exploratory analyses and investigations to enrich our understanding of how people interact with grainger.com over time
- Research and develop solutions to new and challenging business problems
- Collaborate with team members and business partners to understand their goals
- Present and provide insights both to internal teams and stakeholders
- Preferably pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics or any Engineering discipline
- Master’s degree is preferred
- Expected graduation with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree between Winter 2021 – Spring 2022
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Significant experience with the Python programming language, In particular:
- Familiarity with data analysis tools in Python
- Exposure to web applications in Python
- Experience with utilizing Machine Learning libraries in Python
- Knowledge of relational databases and SQL
- Passion for data analysis and excited to build data/ML solutions
- Completing a degree, or pursuing an advanced degree in a quantitative discipline
- Interest in ML for NLP, Search and Information Retrieval
- Coursework in Algorithms, NLP, Information Retrieval, Search Engines
- Familiarity with Web Applications, REST APIs
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.