Internship candidates can expect a full-time onsite internship program, running from June 1, 2022 to August 12, 2022. This internship opportunity is offered in Milwaukee, WI, Franklin, WI, and New York City, NY. Internship candidates who are relocating for the summer internship opportunity are eligible for round-trip airline/train travel and mileage reimbursement to and from your internship location and company-provided housing for the duration of the summer internship program in accordance with the company’s relocation policy.
Carefully selected from universities across the country, our interns bring distinctive ideas and perspectives to our organization. Our employees are passionate about building our emerging talent and future leaders. After application and initial screening conversation, interns are aligned interview and be hired to a specific team at NM based on their skillsets and interests, providing exposure to real-world business perspectives through hands-on learning and meaningful work. In addition to their day-to-day tasks, interns participate in professional development workshops, senior leadership Q&A’s, volunteer initiatives, networking/social events, and more!
Software Engineering Internship
As a Software Engineer Intern, you will work alongside your hiring manager, mentor, and team to complete tasks critical for Northwestern Mutual’s success. We are here to help you both identify and continue to develop your future career goals and passions. See below for our current list of internship opportunities available in our Software Engineering departments:
- Software Engineering- Interns may be involved in providing day-to-day support as needed including problem resolution, metrics reporting, documentation, project assistance. Hands-on projects may include building/deploying code, testing, DevOps, software design, process improvement with either frontend or backend software engineering teams.
- Test Engineering- Interns will support day-to-day testing activities of a test engineering team. This will include writing test cases, executing test cases, learning about the software under test, as well as an opportunity to contribute to test automation by writing and executing test scripts.
- Mainframe Engineering- Interns will support a team that is responsible for all annuity processing. Our team pulls work from a prioritized backlog. Work includes enhancements, regulatory changes, tech upgrades, new product work and problem ticket resolution.
- Cloud Engineering- Intern tasks may include participating in basic administration and operational support. Troubleshooting and/or interacting with IT staff or vendors in testing, operational support and troubleshooting of the cloud environment. Knowledge of infrastructure security practices and experience with Linux and container management frameworks is preferred.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs. Minimum qualifications
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, or related field from an accredited college or university
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Employer immigration sponsorship is not available for this role
Preferred skills and proficiencies
- Previous software engineering internship and/or relevant project experience
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving ability
- High degree of self-motivation, passion, and a drive to learn
- Ability to balance multiple priorities
- Knowledge of SharePoint administration a plus
- Ability to troubleshoot network, software, and hardware issues
- General database knowledge, basic SQL, and Object-oriented design (OOD) skills
We encourage you to apply! Once your application is reviewed, if selected to move forward, one of our University Relations team members will reach out for a call, where we will learn more about you and share internship opportunities aligning to your interests and skillsets and share any next steps of our recruiting process.
Who we are
Northwestern Mutual has been helping families and businesses achieve financial security for over 160 years through a distinctive planning approach that integrates risk management with wealth accumulation, preservation, and distribution. With more than $290 billion in assets, $30 billion in revenues and more than $1.9 trillion worth of life insurance protection in force, Northwestern Mutual delivers financial security to more than 4.6 million clients. People are the power behind Northwestern Mutual, and diversity makes us better. We are committed to reflecting and serving the marketplace. We do so by attracting and improving the engagement of those who bring their outstanding perspectives, ideas, and beliefs. At Northwestern Mutual, people matter. And you’ll be working for a company that’s consistently voted among the “most admired” in the nation. We invite you to explore your career interests with us.