Whirlpool Corporation is consistently recognized by Fortune Magazine as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies. Our values are the driving force behind everything we do. Respect, integrity, diversity and inclusion, teamwork and the spirit of winning propel our teams to excellence. Get to know us and see what it’s like to be part of the world’s leading major home appliance company.
The core of the Global Supply Chain Leadership Development Program (GSCLDP) is to understand the entire supply chain process – from manufacturing all the way to identifying suppliers. Interns complete projects in either Procurement or Supply Chain and Manufacturing for the 12 week internship. Full time participants have one rotation in each: Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and Procurement. Manufacturing roles will focus on a pillar within our Whirlpool Production System with Supply Chain and Procurement roles typically interfacing with global process partners. Through the variety of experiences you will have a consistent mentor while developing a diverse network.
Logistics/Planning project assignments could be in areas such as:
- Lead projects within Inventory Management (Product Fulfillment) such as SKU analysis, dashboard performance or data validation; creating resolutions and recommendations to business leaders and cross-functional stakeholders
- Manage projects within Inbound or Outbound Transportation such as carrier selection & routing strategy, primary carrier utilization, strategic materials management
- Drive strategic thinking and optimize processes within Trade Customer Support such as analyzing our B2B website or other service offerings and development of analytics around the user experience
- Coordinate with business partners across functions, from Procurement and Manufacturing to Sales and Marketing
Procurement project assignments could be in areas such as:
- Work to develop global commodity strategies and analyze current strategies such as quoting, issuing orders, invoicing, expediting and other supplier business initiatives
- Identify cost savings with current supply base or analyze potential for new supplier relationships
- Lead raw materials forecasting for various commodities
- Assist Buyers in evaluating and monitoring supplier performance in delivery, quality, and cost
- Consolidate and standardize the supplier base, driving reductions in total cost and improvements in service and quality
- Assist with negotiation preparation and negotiation strategies
- Work with cross-functional and cross-regional teams on key projects and business initiatives
Manufacturing project assignments are focused in our World Class Manufacturing methodology and could be in areas such as:
- Lead scrap reduction initiatives, including project scope and timeline development, problem solving with suppliers, establishing standardized solutions and implementing changes
- Manage equipment / resource relocation projects which could include: redesign of current equipment or resources, working with suppliers to identify new equipment options and leading change management with impacted team members
- Design, develop, review and conduct coordination for test programs or components, small systems or processes, or materials taking into account customers, product performance, cost and quality requirements
- Focus on cost-savings initiatives across a plant including: standardized work audits, increasing first pass yield, scrap reduction, etc.
- Coordinate with business partners across functions, from Procurement and Supply Chain to Engineering
- Learn and apply Lean Manufacturing techniques to project(s)
Background and Experience
Minimum Background and Experiences
- Working toward a bachelor’s degree, with completion of at least sophomore year
- Desired majors include: Logistics, Transportation, Supply Chain Management, Integrated Supply Management, Industrial Engineering with a minimum 3.0/4.0 GPA
Preferred Background and Experiences
- Analytical skills and statistical knowledge
- Strong communication skills
- Negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and challenging projects
- Knowledge of Lean concepts and experience in SAP is a plus
- Proven decision-making skills and ability to analyze and solve complex business problems through innovation and creativity
- Ability to lead and work with teams and achieve extraordinary results
If you meet the minimum requirements of the job description, you will be prompted to take a behavioral assessment called “Plum” within one week of your application.
This position is located at our global headquarters in Saint Joseph and Benton Harbor, Michigan. Whirlpool Corporation’s headquarters is located in the community in which we were founded. Known as the “Twin Cities,” Saint Joseph and Benton Harbor offer thriving year-round shopping and arts districts, quaint shops, wineries, bakeries and restaurants. These communities boast 40 miles of Lake Michigan beachfront, where swimming, sailing, kayaking, waterskiing, boating, and beach volleyball are abundant during the summer. Winter activities include a Luminary Festival, Reindog Parade, chili tour, and ice carving festival.
For this position, Whirlpool Corporation will not sponsor visas for candidates at this time. Get to know more about our programs at https://www.whirlpoolcareers.com/work-with-us-ca-students/.
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the world’s leading kitchen and laundry appliance company, with approximately $20 billion in annual sales, 77,000 employees and 59 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2019. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, JennAir, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world. Additional information about the company can be found at whirlpoolcorp.com.
Whirlpool Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Additional information about the company can be found on Twitter at @WhirlpoolCorp.