HANDSHAKE: Employer Networking Nights & Career Fairs
- Your Handshake account profile visibility must set to “Community” or “Employers” for the duration of the event.
- Registration via Handshake is required to participate in any Employer Networking Night or Career Fair.
- Refer to each individual listing for when event registration opens.
Group Setting and 1:1 Registration
Handshake’s virtual career fair interface allows for students to engage with employers in either a group setting (by attending a 30 minute group discussion/presentation) and/or an individual setting (by attending a 10-minute 1:1 session with a representative from the host organization).
- You can sign up for a group session and a 1:1 session with the same company.
- You can schedule more than one individual session (1:1) with the same company, but not with the same representative.
- Check Handshake daily as employer(s) continue to add group and/or 1:1 sessions – and be sure to register! You can sign up for 1:1 sessions until the end of the event.
- When you sign up for a session, please make sure you attend during your reserved time. Employers receive reports of who registers and who attends their events through Handshake. Also, the UCS will receive a report of slots reserved and not attended.
Bonus Tip – Resume
Employers do not have access to your resume through the Handshake event platform; they only have access to your Handshake profile. A quick workaround is to have a link created to a PDF of your resume that you can share in the chat during a 1:1 session. Here’s how you do it!
- Upload a PDF version of your resume to your google drive (or any other cloud-based storage you use).
- Copy the share link to a word document or some other place you can easily access during your 1:1.
- If you choose to rename the link to a shortened version, use Bitly or another similar application. (Renaming the link in the word document will not copy correctly to the chat feature on Handshake).
- Have the link copied to your clipboard and ready to share when attending your 1:1 sessions.
- Web Browsers: Google Chrome and Firefox are the recommended browsers to utilize to interface with Handshake’s career fair platform.
- I-Pad’s: Handshake virtual events will not work on an iPad.
- Virtual Backgrounds: Virtual backgrounds do not work with the Handshake career event video platform.
- Networking: Handshake has functionality that allows you to connect and network with students from other schools who may have interned and worked for companies that may be of interest to you.
- Employer Messaging: Employers can message you directly through the Handshake tool. Make sure you check your message center (upper right hand corner).