Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Application Process for International Students
NOTE: This process can take up to FOUR (4) weeks. Start the process as soon as possible!
NEEDED TO BEGIN THE CPT APPLICATION PROCESS:
- Completion of TWO academic semesters (fall and spring) immediately preceding the CPT request.
- Ability to enroll in classes for same semester of your internship.
- An employer offer letter on company letterhead or official email containing the following:
- The specific start date (OR upon CPT authorization – ex. “May 15 or upon CPT authorization”) and end date of your internship/volunteer experience.
- The number of hours you will intern or volunteer each week.
- The complete physical address where you will be interning or volunteering. If this is a remote opportunity, your employer must state that on your offer letter and indicate the address of where you will be located to conduct the remote internship.
- A detailed description of your tasks and specific projects as related to your major field/s or study.
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Complete the CPT/Internship Course Request Form.
- NOTE: If this is not your FIRST CPT experience, you MUST also submit a detailed description (one paragraph personal statement is fine) highlighting how your internship with your MOST RECENT EMPLOYER/POSITION will differ from that of the PREVIOUS EMPLOYER/POSITION. Be specific on how your duties/tasks DIFFER and are more in depth/advanced related to your major from your previous CPT experience. Please insert this statement under the “Additional Information” section of the application.
- STOP! Wait until you receive the course permission email via KSBENROL@indiana.edu in your IU email. Be sure to check your Inbox and Spam/Junk folder.
- After you receive the course permission email, enroll in X498 OR W499 for the semester of your internship experience. Review the application deadlines to ensure timely submission and approval.
- In addition to completing the CPT/Internship Course Request Form, you must ALSO submit the CPT e-form through Atlas and complete the “Academic Advisor form” portion with the following information:
- Department Information:
- Academic Department? Kelley School of Business
- Academic Advisor’s Name? Kelley Advising Office
- Academic Advisor’s Email Address? firstname.lastname@example.org
- NOTE: You MUST attach your offer letter and any additional documents you initially provided Kelley UCS when submitting your e-form
- Department Information:
- You will receive a confirmation email from OIS once your CPT has been approved.
You may check Atlas to see where you are on your CPT process.